link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

1000 self care and business books

Will rot your brain thoroughly. If you had spent that time instead reading 1000 pieces of actually good literature, there’s plenty of stuff you could’ve actually learned, instead of just having people tell you that you can count your golf trips as business expenses, and “stop being depressed it’s all about your growth grindset”, and “please buy the next book in this course it will really tell you how to make a bunch of money” and then it’s just a pyramid scheme.

You could’ve learned some sort shit like the vimes boot theory, which is pretty good, and is a pretty good example of something you could learn from a totally random book. You could’ve learned all about medieval speech and castle architecture. if you were addicted to hardcore pulp sci-fi, you could’ve learned about xenobiology and a bunch of different math and science that those books tend to use as the basis for their outlandish premises. If you’d read a bunch of classic french literature, you could’ve become a pretty good expert in that very particular field, same with watching 1000 random french movies from like the 50’s or 60’s. If you’d spent 10,000 hours skateboarding, instead, you’d probably be able to do a kickflip, and at that point, the world’s your oyster. You’ve won, you might as well quit now, since you can kickflip. 10,000 hours hacky sacking and you can probably juggle almost anything with your feet, and that’s pretty cool, I would think. 10,000 hours playing modded fallout 4, even though I don’t like that game very much and think it sucks, 10,000 hours doing that, and you might know enough just based on the shit you have to do to be able to play the mods, to be able to do some professional tech work. You might even just know how to make your own mod, at that point, if you’re interested enough in it. I know that 10,000 hours of dwarf fortress will basically have gotten you there.

• daltotron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Bro’s like “oh nah you should go read some books, that’s a better use of your time” and then is also like “that’s too long I can’t read that shit”.

Trolling used to be impressive, you know?