• mean_bean279@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Will Ferrell has IMO the best fit.

I can’t stand this trend of baggy oversized pants and chunky shoes. Did no one look back at 90s pictures and audibly not laugh at how bad they looked back then? It was a terrible trend then, and it’s a poor repeat today. Especially in the suit fit.

Also, some of these fits were great but they didn’t look properly sized at the ankle or the chest for jackets. Lots of either over sized or undersized jackets. Which IMO looks cheap and makes it feel like a rental (which it probably is, but a Louis Vuitton rental should still be fitted).

• danhakimi@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Will Ferrell has IMO the best fit.

What makes you say that? his pants are aggressively tapered, I hate, but if you love that… there are plenty of other slim pants here. His jacket is too tight, it’s pulling at the button and flaring out in the back, which looks even worse because his pants are not a traditional full cut. The lapels are buckling at the chest because he went for a cheap fused jacket from a brand that used to be a designer brand, and is now just coasting on its name.

Did no one look back at 90s pictures and audibly not laugh at how bad they looked back then?

Yeah, in the 2000s, and that’s how we got the skinny fit trend, and people have now looked back on that and laughed at it too. And now people look back at the best outfits of the 90s, and realize that some of them were actually great.

• mean_bean279@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

His jacket looks like right before he gave someone a hug which raised the upper back portion or waved with a high shoulder action. That action lifted the bottom and pulled at the chest due to it being buttoned. My suits often do this as well. His fit around the arms specifically and the mid section shows that it’s much more appropriately sized and tailored to him. Not just something oversized and slapped on.

We had a few good ideas from the 90s. However baggy jeans and chunky shoes literally never looked good. It goes back to the 70s and the bell bottoms and how bad those looked too. The skinny jean fit was bad because it was skin tight which made people look like they were walking on stilts. However a proper fitting Jean or pant looks significantly better than this current trend. I’ve just seen people trying to bring back the denim on denim look of the 90s as well… which is never a good sign.

• danhakimi@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

His jacket looks like right before he gave someone a hug which raised the upper back portion or waved with a high shoulder action. That action lifted the bottom and pulled at the chest due to it being buttoned. My suits often do this as well. His fit around the arms specifically and the mid section shows that it’s much more appropriately sized and tailored to him. Not just something oversized and slapped on.

Yeah, so good suits don’t ride up and look like shit the second you start moving in them. I’d say he could use a better tailor, but I’m guessing his stylist got the jacket from Armani like two days before and they didn’t feel like rushing any tailoring and just thought it was good enough.

We had a few good ideas from the 90s. However baggy jeans and chunky shoes literally never looked good. It goes back to the 70s and the bell bottoms and how bad those looked too. The skinny jean fit was bad because it was skin tight which made people look like they were walking on stilts. However a proper fitting Jean or pant looks significantly better than this current trend. I’ve just seen people trying to bring back the denim on denim look of the 90s as well… which is never a good sign.

I’m still not clear on why you think Will’s pants look good. The golden era was full of wide legs, the only times slim legs were normal before 2008 were fabric rationing (affected production in the 40s, mostly seen in style in the 50s) and SLP (a 70s alternative to flared legs). Will’s pants taper hard to the ankle with zero room—if they were any longer, they wouldn’t be able to break right, because they’re just way too narrow at the leg opening.

People love to talk shit about anything that’s not super slim as though they understand how tailoring works. Like, “oh my God, the pants don’t bunch up at all, this is 90s style JNCO bullshit!” Naw, Jeremy Allen White’s pants here are probably the most classic cut.