Ars spoke with community mods about where Reddit goes from here.

• BendyLemmy@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Interestingly, I just witnessed one example of a Federated instance being set up, received more than enough donations (basically, balance is now sufficient for 1 year with some extra to cover expenses) to continue.

We are entering a phase now where we must realise our internet isn’t Free. It’s sad, but true… we pay for our connections and that money doesn’t get passed down to our activities.

Reddit is perfectly within it’s rights - the ‘community’ are not the customer at all. They are there to be used… This ‘FUCK YOU’ pricing debacle is going along with the Twitter format - either make it profitable or let it die.

If it dies, then it’s going to be up to ‘us’ (not me, I’m too dumb to set this stuff up) take over… However, if I found a nicely federated alternative which allowed me to access other federated sites, I don’t see why every decent Reddit sub couldn’t be created and linked in.

I don’t even follow my subreddits on Reddit - I follow them on RSS, so they just appear as another feed - and only half my feeds are in Reddit - two of those have closed down, but (like c/dadjokes) some are appearing elsewhere.

• BaconIsAVeg@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reddit is perfectly within it’s rights - the ‘community’ are not the customer at all. They are there to be used… This ‘FUCK YOU’ pricing debacle is going along with the Twitter format - either make it profitable or let it die.

The community is the product, advertisers are the customer. All social media companies are the same in that regard.

It doesn’t matter to me, let it die. All I needed was a link aggregator where I could read various opinions on what was going on, and the occasional meme/cute animal pic. I can get those anywhere. I don’t need Reddit.