• flossdaily@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The big deal about this is that the very, very pro-Trump judge did not honor Trump’s request to move the trial until after the election (when Trump would have appointed an attorney general to dismiss the case).

• Raging LibTarg@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Indeed! While I’m not ready to believe she’s figured out her bullshit isn’t going to fly, this is a good sign!

• MisterD@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

He’ll just fire his lawyers weeks before the trial and demand a delay for him to find new ones. Rinse and repeat way past the elections.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Very true, and the Orange One seems to have a knack for the court of public opinion, at least with the rubes. Not sure how effective it will be against Jack Smith, though.

• Borg286@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What forcing function is there to make sure Trump’s lawyers are actually looking over the evidence. I strongly suspect that they are being given time to look over discovery but are merely planning on throwing out another excuse when May comes by. Those excuses will likely sound like, “well we need more time, nevermind the fact that we actually had time to do the thing.”

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I am no lawyer, but you can bet the Orange One’s team will try to throw everything AND the kitchen sink to try to delay this until after the general election. If not “wE dIdN’t HaVe EnOuGh TiMe tO vIeW eViDeNcE¡”, it will be something else, and it will be up to Judge Aileen to determine whether the need for delay has merit.

Not the best prospects for swift justice (let alone the delays that dragged it out thus far), but this compromise date by Aileen is better than I think most expected.