This is an automated archive made by the Lemmit Bot.

The original was posted on /r/AmItheAsshole by /u/idfkanymore949 on 2023-07-21 12:40:59.

For some background my parents have 3 kids I (28M) and my siblings (17M) and (15F)

My wife (27F) and I have a son (6). We own a 3 bedroom house with a good amount of land along with a guest house which we rent out. My younger brother is currently going to school in the town I live in as it has a good course to set him in the right direction for his career path, he is currently living with us as my parents house is a hours drive from the school and we had an extra bedroom.

I had recently had some of my extended family over to catch up. A few days ago we were out for breakfast when my uncle (let’s call mark) had mentioned something about my cousin (22M) (we’ll call him Jake) getting the opportunity for a plumbing apprenticeship in the area and not having the money but needing a place to stay, mark suggested jake staying in the guest house, I reminded mark the guest house currently was being rented. Mark said I stop renting to the people who live there and let Jake stay instead but I explained I can’t kick the couple who lives there out just so my cousin can live there rent free. That’s when my aunt Sarah chimes in and suggests my brother shares a room with my son and Jake stays in Brother’s old room. I told them I wasn’t going to make my brother and son share a room just so my cousin who got kicked out of college could move in. They said this is apprenticeship is a good opportunity for Jake, I replied telling them if they want him to do the apprenticeship then they could pay for the first months rent for an apartment, after that he would be able to pay for it himself with the money he would earn from the apprenticeship, or he could sell his fancy new car I’ve seen him posting and bragging about and use the money from that to pay rent. They told me I’m being selfish and need grow up, after that i had, had enough and got up payed my part of the bill and left.  Later that day I got a text from my aunt saying how I behaved poorly and that after I left everyone agreed I was being selfish along with multiple other messages and missed calls telling me I need to grow up and accept that Jake will be moving in with me, my cousin also messaged and called me childish. I also got a message from my sister saying the rest of the family is on my side and Sarah and Mark were wrong for putting me in that position at breakfast and left shortly after I did. After that I sent the following message to my aunt, uncle and cousin “while I understand you may be frustrated with me, my decision stands, I will not be letting Jake move in. I can’t just evict the tenants living in the guest house. (They’re also a very nice couple me and my wife have become friends with) I don’t see why I should have to let Jake live with me and pay no rent. He’s made his life choices and it was not my fault he got kicked out of college and fired from his job”

That was two days ago and they are still trying to get me to change my mind.

Am I wrong for my decision and any advice on what I should do