I have an account on kbin. Recently I saw a post across my feed in which a magazine that I follow (that’s based on a Lemmy instance) was celebrating over 1k subscribers. When I visited, I saw only 240 or so.

I decided to check it out from a Lemmy account and saw well over 1k. I also saw massive amounts of content that was not being pushed to my kbin account. Even when looking at specific users, I could see only the occasional post they made was visible to me on kbin while on Lemmy I could see massive amounts of content that they had posted to this magazine.

It bummed me out because one of the things they shared is extremely niche and I’ve never seen anyone else out in the wild interested in that topic and I would have loved to engage… But it never made it to my kbin feed.

Is this an issue with kbin vs Lemmy? Is there hope it will be fixed? I feel bad because I don’t want to use Lemmy and have loved kbin but am certainly jarred that I’ve been missing out on 80% of the content from a magazine I’ve been invested in engaging with.

TIA

• ImplyingImplications@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

All platforms on the fediverse communicate using the ActivityPub protocol, but the platforms can have very different setups which makes sharing stuff complicated.

Mastadon and Lemmy are both on the fediverse but if someone on Mastadon “boosts” someone’s post (Mastadon’s version of a retweet) how does Lemmy interpret that? Lemmy doesn’t have boosts. If someone on Lemmy creates a new community for underwater basket weaving, how does Mastadon interpret that information? Mastadon doesn’t have communities (i think? I don’t use it).

So each platform can share the activities their users are doing, but between platforms those activities often don’t exist. I can only assume there are some specific kbin actions which lemmy’s programming isn’t setup to handle and vice versa.

• blazera@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Theyre talking about seeing a post, does lemmy not have posts?

This issue keeps getting brushed aside as people answer with completely unrelated nonsense.

why are posts not viewable from kbin

• blazera@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

It’s generally smaller communities on instances, not whole instances. I doubt Ernest has a vendetta against the splatoon community on lemmy.world

When it takes over a week in some cases, that’s making federation completely useless. Things are broken and no one in charge is addressing why. It’s just irrelevant info or random guesses from people that dont know, and then discussion drops until it starts it all over again and everyone goes through the same non answers again.

Where is this post in the federation network? Where did it fall through in being connected to kbin? Did it not get sent out to the fediverse? Is it stuck in a server queue somewhere? Is there some aspect of the post data format that kbin couldnt handle?

• r00ty@kbin.life
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This is where things get even more confusing. Kbin DOES have boosts. Plus upvotes and downvotes. So, mastedon boosts become boosts. Lemmy upvotes become upvotes. Lemmy downvotes become. Well nothing right now. There’s a lot of things that are still work in progress and even though they all talk the same protocol there are concepts that are interpreted differently.

There’s also the standard, and then what’s generally used. I fixed an issue recently with kbin, which was happening on the rare occasion I had an interaction with “lotide” (another activitypub program). Lemmy and kbin (and probably mastedon, I dunno) always put “To” and “Cc” as a json array even if there’s just one element. But lotide doesn’t if there is only one item (often the case in To). This is fine as far as I can see in ActivityPub’s structure. But, kbin expected an array. These kind of things are going to be ironed out now there’s far more content moving around. The errors will be appearing in our logs and they will be gradually resolved.

• Nepenthe@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

If someone on Lemmy creates a new community for underwater basket weaving, how does Mastadon interpret that information? Mastadon doesn’t have communities (i think? I don’t use it).

To clear that up, communities/magazines come across as users to mastodon. They already had the equivalent, and it’s basically a bot user that auto-retweets anything tweeted at it, that people can follow.