Hey guys ive been self hosting things for a while now mostly just off a bunch if old computers in a k8s cluster.

The majour issue i have currently is all my data is on a single hdd in an old dektop. Its painfully slow and very risky as i have no backup or anything (i dont feel to great about that).

I really dont have much $ to spend hence my setup is built from a stack of practically ewaste hobbled together. I finally have the $ to buy some drives how should i go about building myself a nas on the cheap?

• monkeyman512@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

If you want cheap new drives check out https://shucks.top/.

You can get used Enterprise drives on eBay if you want to got that way. Look for a seller with lots of sales, a good rating, and a reasonable return policy.

• muntedcrocodile@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I have been looking at that as an option just feel a little hesitant to buy used drives. But if the wise gentlmen of lemmy reccommend it how bad can it be.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Don’t buy used drives if you don’t know how to check them, can’t afford to waste the money and/or aren’t buying from somewhere with excellent return policy.

• TheHolm@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Just weight your risks. Old drives can fail early, and enterprise drives consume more power. Old drives probably not for mirrors or RAID5. RAID6 and spare HDD on shelf may save your data one day. It is a lottery.

• surewhynotlem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I’ve always done this (bought and external drive and pulled it out) but I never knew it had a name. Thank you!