• jet@hackertalks.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Just to be pedantic, cryptocurrency does not mean it’s a scam. It’s just that scammer invariably want to use cryptocurrency to incentivize people to take out sized risks that are not priced into the payments.

They want to use crypto, to pay you very small amounts that don’t make sense on traditional networks, and to avoid identifying themselves.

Running a dark net exit node for Pennies a day, does not compensate for the legal risk, when somebody uses your exit node for illegal activity.

• Blaze
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

First time I hear about them, curious to see what others will say

• jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

If they are closed source then they are a scam.

Mysterium I looked at their website but it wasn’t clear how they were a dvpn.

• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

https://safing.io/spn/

Safing is a interesting approach to distributed VPNs. Unlike the crypto models, you pay for your use with the subscription the payments accepted via crypto if you like. So there’s no direct link to you as the payee

Each circuit could take a different path through the network, it’s kind of like a self-supported tor architecture.

It’s a super interesting project I highly recommend reading about it if you’re interested in distributed VPNs, or even onion networks in general

Of course the granddaddy’s of distributed VPNs are tor and I2P. That should be the start of any of your research, and then you can look at the more niche options.

Avoid any VPN, distributed or not, that’s closed source. The vast majority of the " crypto VPNs " are closed source packages which do evil things to your network