If you’ve been waiting, your wait may nearly be over.

• agg@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It does actually! NES, SNES, Genesis, Tamagotchi and more are available and can play ROMs of the SD card. I’ve helped create a number of these cores

• xxkickassjackxx@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I feel so dumb. Does it say that in their website? When I went to their webpage there was a big underlines heading that said “no emulation”

• agg@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s a long story actually. Analogue has a (poorly implemented, in my opinion) marketing campaign advertising that their FPGA consoles don’t use normal software emulators like say SNES9x. Their devices instead emulate the consoles on a special chip called an FPGA that lets you mimic the circuits that make up the CPU and other parts. It’s still emulation, just a very different kind than what you normally get on devices like this. That’s also why it’s so hard to release new cores for the Pocket, because you have to create this mimic circuit design that often doesn’t exist elsewhere.

Analogue also doesn’t advertise the ROM playing nature, but their official cores are just a download away in a dedicated area they put aside for community contributions.

• mom
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Just FYI, FPGA stands for Field Programmable Gate Array and they’re pretty much like a custom SoC which can be altered, modified or revamped in the field without the need to produce a new chip.