• soot_guy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. ATT just told me my paperless discount is getting halved, so this is the perfect opportunity to even out my costs. Everyone of these tech companies is making a money grab this summer and I’m fed up

• ThrowThrowThrewaway7@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Prices on so many of these mega tech companies (DoorDash, UBER, etc.) have been kept artificially low for years by basically unlimited amount of venture capital.

They’re following the Walmart model- keep prices stupid low to establish dominance and drive out any competitor. Once there’s nobody left to compete you can jack up the prices to -hopefully- recoup your investment.

Great for the consumers at first… until their bills come due. Then we get massively screwed over. A tale as old as time…

• hayes_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I wouldn’t group doordash in with the others.

They barely provide a service; leach off of restaurants, forcing them to raise their prices to maintain razor thin margins; and lobby for shitty legislation to not pay or give people benefits.

I agree with the general point, though.

• zumi@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That txt from ATT about the paperless discount was so poorly worded. Took me forever to realize I can still get the $10 discount if I switch the autopay to a debit card. It’s only the credit card autopay/paperless that is getting reduced to $5.

• Bongles@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Interesting, t mobile is removing their 5 dollar autopay discount unless you use a debit card too. I wonder what the deal with that is.

• soot_guy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The email I just got from them said to expect a rate increase for my august billing cycle of 2.50 a line. So, even switching to a bank account from a credit card won’t help. They were just trying to make me more comfortable while bending me over.

• zumi@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Weird. My txt said the following:

“Hi, it’s AT&T. As early as Oct. 2nd, the AutoPay and Paperless discount for customers paying by credit card will decrease from $10 to $5 per line. If you prefer to use your credit card, no action is required to receive a $5 discount.”

Sounds like your offer is different. One quick tip if you are looking for other ways to save on AT&T. If you sign up for AARP you can get an additional $10 off of the top plan in addition to the paperless discount on AT&T.