Here are my basics:

• Hydroponics: lettuce, basil, strawberries, microgreens. Cost to implement well ~ $350CDN
  • Yoghurt: Cost to implement well ~ $50
  • Crochet + yarn: mainly for making dishcloths. $5
  • Mayo: I like mayo, obviously, but it doesn’t last very long. Has anyone made mayo that lasts as long as store bought?

More advanced ideas?

• locally sourced meat and eggs: is this cheaper? I’m in Vancouver BC and there are a lot of farms in the valley. Logistics seems challenging.
  • jarring: is it worth learning how to do this and investing in the equipment? volunteering at a farm: I’m sure this would net some food
  • solar power or bike generator: electricity is cheap here
  • minimalism: I’m realizing this is a lifestyle. It has taken me a while to reduce, and I’m still reducing. Are most of you like this?

And things that can save money, but I don’t want to do:

• Bread: I don’t like making bread. Bread machine vs. buying a mixer?
  • Beer: I’d like to but last time I tried it was messy and space consuming
  • switch to cotton socks and underwear. Quantity over quality.
  • no alcohol or drugs: What’s your experience?
  • meal prep: savings seem big if combined with jarring. But if I had food prepped I’ll eat it, cheaper to skip meals?

Any other ideas welcome. I’m looking to save $$$ by spending $$

• Uno@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

My basics:

• no drugs, no alcohol, no meat, and I prefer to buy non-perishables bc my fridge isn’t very big. Rice, beans, or peanut butter cost like <$13 for a weeks worth of calories
    • buy less. Use everything you have until it is so irreperably broken it must be replaced. Wear old clothes, don’t buy new underwear, don’t throw out all your current stuff so you can get new quality stuff, though still buy quality items that don’t constantly need to be replaced only when actually necessary

If you want to get an appliance, you should probably be getting it because you will actually use it to improve your life, not because it saves money (because it probably won’t)

Sure hypothetically, a bike or a crockpot or a bidet or a fishing rod or a sewing machine or a garden or a gym membership or a bread maker can technically save you money, but only if you use it.

Worse still, note that many of these items require maintenance and space, their price is not just limited to the money they costed.

I’m sure there are no shortage of people online who say that they love their bike or something and it saves them tons of money on car expenses, but if you just buy a bike and never use it- it will have been a waste of money.

For example, if we take the average cost of ingredients to make a loaf of bread go be $1.50, the average cost of a store-bought loaf to be $2.50, the average cost of a breadmaker to be $150, and the average calories in a homemade loaf of bread to be 1466 (numbers found with basic google searches), then you would have to make 150 loaves of bread, aka 440 meals for which bread constitutes 50% of the calories eaten (ex: 440 sandwiches) just to break even on your breadmaker purchase

Am I saying this is never a valuable purchase for anybody? No, of course not. If you want, buy a bread maker and enjoy delicious homemade bread. I just think that in general, people should be of the mindset that buying new stuff is a great way to improve your quality of life, but not necessarily is a very good strategy for saving money.