i’m doing it because I want to make the fediverse more friendly place, in hopes of making it more welcoming for new users, and the nicer place in general. But I wonder how much is just less bots.

• MrMonkey@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

So every credit card is the same as every other credit card? Cool, can I use yours?

Every drivers license is the same as every other license? I dunno about that, mine has my info on it. I don’t think yours does. These tokens don’t appear to be fungible.

Every token in monopoly is played by any player? No there’s one token per player and they’re not interchangeable.

They are Tokens. That are not fungible. These are NFTs. You don’t have to like it, but try to understand it.

A Token that is unique and different from other tokens is “non-fungible”,

My drivers license is non-fungible. So is my car title.

Dollars are fungible. A $10 bill is a $10 bill.

Cars are not fungible. My car is not the same as your car.

Non-Fungible Tokens can be physical things. There were nfts long before the the internet and you use tons of them, online and off. You just don’t know.

• _danny@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

We can agree on what the words mean individually, but an NFT is not just some physical item which is unique. NFTs are unique and are only possible to transfer if you have the private key. So saying that your credit card number is an NFT because it’s a token which is non-fungible is missing the point, and being intentionally obtuse.

I’m kinda done with this, we are not going to get any further in this discussion.