• Chadus_Maximus@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Nobody did that shit until LIDL introduced the concept. After that, nobody still did it. LIDL are still the only ones who require the sacrifice.

• Laser@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Depends on the country, I guess. There are hardly any supermarkets here in Germany that don’t require you to put in money. Mostly small independent ones with small carts. But every chain uses the deposit.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I know a famila which doesn’t use deposit carts, and they happen to share a parking lot and cart pool with an Aldi which also don’t use deposit, a famila employee does the corralling – mostly re-distributing carts between isles as people do, in fact, return carts just unevenly so.

I don’t really think it’s about the deposit, culture-wise, Germans are as likely to understand a deposit as “that’s mine now”, see Christmas market mugs. It’s signalling “please really do return carts it’s important we don’t want to hire someone to do it and bill you for it that would make our milk 1ct more expensive than the neighbouring store”.

• Nahdahar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

In my country literally every company that has shopping carts outside does this, but I always thought it’s more against homeless people taking them on a whim.