• ItsMeSpez@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I hear this a lot, but I changed from google to DDG about a year ago and haven’t even considered looking back. I can find everything I need quite easily and can only think of maybe a handful of times that I have had to resort to using a bang to try and find something using another search engine. I’m very curious what the difference is between my experience and that of others who have problems DDG.

• habl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I recently switched aswell and am surprised how well it works. I thought it didn’t worked good enough but I never failed to find what I was looking for so far. Very nice.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

On technical stuff, I find DDG better than google since I don’t have to wade through their sponsored ad and results. Google is getting unusable that way. I try it every few months when I can’t get an answer on DDG and it doesn’t work any better.

• wishthane@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I totally agree with that. I’ve also found Google worse about being influenced by SEO tactics (probably just because it’s targeted for that) and so you get bogus results like GeeksForGeeks that are often really poorly written and irrelevant, sometimes even wrong, up at the top.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

The amount of AI articles that are a bunch of padded bullshit designed to get indexed as more credible “long form” sources is getting out of hand. Sometimes it takes a couple minutes to wade through the intro bullshit where they give a bunch of background yammering, and then you find out it’s recycled trash is really starting to make research take time again.

IDK how you get around this but whichever search engine does will be very successful.

• SeekPie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

TBH I didn’t even notice that I was using DDG when switching to librewolf other than the icon on the top bar. I have found everything I have needed, though I usually use “site:lemmy.world” (for example) anyways.

• Cosmicomical@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yeah I can’t actually notice the difference. Granted I’m not paying much attention, but that means most of the times I’m finding satisfying results with ddg.