Ubisoft Exec Says Gamers Need to Get ‘Comfortable’ Not Owning Their Games for Subscriptions to Take Off::An executive at Assassin’s Creed maker Ubisoft has said gamers will need to get “comfortable” not owning their games before video game subscriptions truly take off.

• BreadstickNinja@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I don’t know. A lot of people seem willing to pay for battle passes, which is already halfway there.

It was good to see a little bit of resistance this year and particularly the success of BG3, but I’m concerned that the overall trend is negative. Any publisher beholden to investors will be under strong pressure to monetize, monetize, monetize.

All I can do is not give them money, but someone else probably will.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Yeah, people in this thread are saying this is absurd and nobody will go along with it, like have they met gamers from outside Lemmy?

In the wider world, people think I’m insane for not loving Microsoft’s game subscription service. Even here and on Reddit I’ve received flak for not wanting games as a subscription service. It’s weird.

Game subscriptions will happen. The wider market, unfortunately, loves the idea of paying a monthly fee to play games.