• Hellmo_luciferrari@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

That’s how I feel with my Pixel 7 Pro. I opted for GrapheneOS though. I did dabble with LineageOS with root and Play Integrity Fix, LSposed, and various other magisk modules but ultimately decided GrapheneOS was the route for me. I left GOS for LineageOS due to no Android Auto support, but it has been brought to GOS luckily.

• technologicalcaveman@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Calyx is amazing for me, I love it. BUT android auto doesn’t work on it, which is lame. I’ve learned to deal with it and use waze instead.

• technologicalcaveman@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I looked at my requirements of being stable and secure, and calyx seemed to have the most focus on that plus having a good outward image. Graphene’s main dev has had a troubled past with criticism.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

I have seen rumblings about the people regarding GrapheneOS and some problematic behavior and such, but admittedly never looked to deep into it. However, everything that GraphrneOS fits the bill for me, so I never bothered looking into Calyx. From reading, GOS was recommended over calyx for my pixel 7 pro. I admittedly didn’t know too much about calyx.

Though totally and completely valid reasoning behind your choice. It was more of a curiousity for me as to why calyx over gos. Thank you!

• jcarax@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Does Android Auto in Graphene still require Google Maps to be installed, or is there a shim? If not, I wouldn’t be surprised if Calyx writes one, once they implement whatever black magic Graphene devs came up with to make AA work.

As a related example, Calyx has a Google Photos shim, so you can use other galleries with gcam. I just added Calyx’s f-droid repository, and use that with my Graphene install.

For now, I’m happy using my Mazda CX-5’s built in navigation with bluetooth audio. It’s nice enough to tile both side by side, and it’s less fiddly than AA. But my next car might not be as favorable, so I’m glad to have AA as an option.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

With AA on GOS you have to use the sandboxed google play services, and it will use Google maps. There however may be a way to use a shim for other navigation platforms. I admittedly don’t have much further knowledge of how all of the AA, Play Services, or other services are integrated.

• jcarax@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

That’s unfortunate, Maps is near the top of the list of Google code I want nowhere near my phone. But now that the first domino has fallen, I’m sure folks are working on some de-googling.

I would love if the EU finds a way to force standardization of screen casting.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Completely understandable. It does route location through GrapheneOS location provider, as well as geocoding I believe.