• Axiochus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Hmm. I’m conflicted. On the one hand, this looks like a loving adaptation. On the other, seeing anime tropes in a live action adaptation feels uniquely cringe to me.

• nandeEbisu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I could see it growing on me. The first time I saw the style of humor they used for Luffy, it was a bit uncanny valley. By the end of the trailer I felt like I liked the live action tone of Luffy as its own thing.

The Chop Chop Carnival line in isolation seemed a bit forced, but I think I’ll keep an open mind. I figure they’re going to have to take lessons learned from season 1 and tweak what doesn’t work for season 2. They were intending to do that for cowboy bebop, but they never really got a chance to do it.

• nandeEbisu@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Maybe, but I feel like the writers for that show didn’t really get Cowboy Bebop. The great casting and sets would have just worn off over time if the writing kept eroding at the show.

I think there’s also a reason the original show was only 1 season. Its not meant to be a deep exploration of the evolution of these characters or the world. Its a show where you see a section of the lives of these complex troubled people while they’re part of this bounty hunter crew, then they all kind of go on their own way.

• Axiochus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That’s a fair take! I’ll likely give it a chance. It probably also really depends on the viewing context. Watching this with friends might be cool. I watched the first season over 20 years ago, so it could be really nostalgic.

• cley_faye@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This might reach the point where it’s cringey enough to be enjoyable to watch, but I’m not sure that’s what they were aiming for.

• ComplexLotus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

imo they are just misinveting resources. A good new complete animation of Skypia -> Water7 (maybe thriller bark) or Impeldown to Marineford would be way more valauble to me than any Live adaptation ever could be.

• UtiAnimi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think it’s the same feeling stopping me from watching One Piece a long time ago. Then I also thought the characters look very goofy.