I just mentioned this in a comment, but thought it might be helpful for a larger audience. I’m not affiliated with these people, but I would really really like a smaller Android phone. They also seem motivated to try and make something happen.

• fpslem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Cool, I didn’t know that existed.

But honestly, I want something like a 4-5" screen, what used to be normal, it would actually be a hand-sized device.

• phanto@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I would be wary. I bought a Jelly 2, and the wifi range was about ten feet. If I left the room my router was in, no wifi. I contacted Unihertz, and they took forever to get back to me, and told me to ship it to them (my cost) and if they found a problem, they’d ship me a new one (again, my cost), and if they didn’t find a problem, I could pay to have my old one shipped back.

Screw that. It’s now a teeny tiny paperweight.

I am now rocking a Mode 1 Retro II.

Not bad, but now my classmates call me “Flip phone”.

• Dips@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I own a Jelly 2 and really like it to play around with. However, I find it too small as a daily driver, when I tried that for two weeks. Due to the small size, it is also really bulky, so instead of a tablet, you have a bump in your pocket. For me, the perfect size is around 4,5-5" (minus the keyboard of the titan slim). The Tank Mini 1 has a good screen size, but again is really thick.

• RacerX@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Thanks for sharing. Looking at a few of their various models and at the very least it looks like they’re doing something different

• Fontasia@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’d forgotten about that, I remembered their initial pitch was “It’s your second phone so you don’t have to take your first phone out of your pocket all of the time.”

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

If Apple kills the Mini, those people will need a new home. An Android phone (with Beeper for iMessage) might be an adequate alternative.

This site hasn’t been touched in years.

• jjnjjlr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

The Asus Zenfone 9 or 10 fits the majority of the spec list with a screen size of 5.92". It barely sits under 6" but it does. However the display size requirements of that website is a little confusing. First it says sub 6" then it says it must be 5.4" ish.

• BakedCatboy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

This is awesome. I pretty much agree with all the ideal specs aside from preferring rear fingerprint sensors. I used to have the Pixel 2 (5" display) and it was pretty much my ideal phone, sadly it just kept getting buggier and buggier as apps got updated and it wasn’t able to run the latest lineage as smoothly. Really disappointing as I had also just gotten accustomed to opening it up to replace the battery and do other repairs myself so maintaining it indefinitely wouldn’t have cost me much as long as parts continued to be available.

• Bloody Harry@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Have you ever used the Xperia XZ Compact phones? They were who sold me to the fingerprint sensor in the power button. Fucking seamless experience there

• phanto@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

My Retro II phone has it on the side where the power button would be. I really, really like that placement. It’s also the fastest unlock I’ve ever seen in a phone.

• DontTreadOnBigfoot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Agree with you completely about preferring the fingerprint reader on the back.

It was just such intuitive placement. My finger landed right on it, and it was always super quick and accurate.

I freaking hate the in screen ones by comparison

• phanto@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I literally just came back to this thread to mention it. Awfully tempting.

• RacerX@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Oh nice that’s timely. I wish there was some kind of guarantee about software support, but at that price I suppose it is what it is.

• kayazere@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Does anyone know if there has been updates on the project? I signed up for the newsletter last March, but have heard nothing since.

• WaterWaiver@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I would like a smaller phone, but they’re aiming too cost-premium for me. To me “premium” would be decent custom ROM support and a replaceable battery; I don’t care about flagship processors or holepunched screens.

I wish them the best of luck :)

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s a nice idea but Migi probably has his hands full trying to salvage whatever he can from Beeper.

• Tiger Jerusalem@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

The ideal phone to me today would be an iPhone mini with three cameras running Android. I currently get by with the vanilla S22, it has everything I need except the size.