I’m feeling really excited and hopeful and nervous. I found an awesome doctor who is not part of some huge corporate medical conglomerate, is LGBTIQ+ safe and is relatively knowledgeable and accepting of Neurodivergence! I could cry. Only an hour away from me (lolsob) but is open to telehealth if a physical exam is not necessary.

When I asked if he was familiar with Guanfacine he said yes all casually(!). I forgot to pick it up on my way home so I’m going to wait and take it tonight. I’m nervous but I’ve been trying to get this for months now so I’m just really hopeful it can help me.

For those unfamiliar, Guanfacine was originally developed in the 80s as a blood pressure medication but is approved by the FDA to supplement stimulant medication in support of ADHD. It was found to help with anxiety, RSD, irritability/anger and insomnia. Even inattention and impulsivity. Common side effects are sleepiness/fatigue, headaches, dry mouth, but generally get better as you get used to the medication.

It will take several weeks to fully build up and feel the full effects, so I’ll edit this post with the results in the coming weeks.

• BigDanishGuy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You guys can get meds from a primary care physician? As in your family doctor? Holy crap do I envy you. In Denmark only the psychiatrist who has diagnosed you can prescribe any adhd meds*. I managed to find a psychiatrist within drivable distance with only a 72 week waiting period AND she’s only 7 years older than me, so I don’t have to worry about her retiring soon.

*guess what happens if that psychiatrist stops practicing, yep you’ve got to find another and wait to get diagnosed all over again. And forget about getting a prescription for 12 months worth of drugs, so you can stay medicated in the waiting period. Keeping the meds off the street is worth your life crashing for a year and a half.

• Darthwonka@mastodon.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I tried this for 7 months or so last year. My wife said that it slowly made me more and more short tempered. :( I had to switch to Effexor XR and buspirone along with stims

• Darthwonka@mastodon.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Finding a good doctor right now seems to be as important as finding the right combo… I’m happy you found one!

• 𝑔𝑎𝑙𝑎𝑥𝑖@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I hope you keep us all updated! I’m really curious to see how it affects you. Are you taking it together with stimulants or just on its own?

• MadgePickles@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m keeping my normal stimulant medication and adding 1mg guanfacine at bedtime. That’s going to be tricky for me I think I’ll need to put it next to my bed bc I forgot last night to take my first dose which sucks I wanted to start on a weekend. My biggest worry is daytime sleepiness which is why they recommend taking it at night