• Slotos@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

And if there’s a bug in that code, you’re fucked.

Safety features should work if everything else fails. Their failure mode can’t be “fuck it, it didn’t work”. Which is directly opposite to the failure mode of a subscription based service.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

This is why:

1. The FTC needs to do its job and start outlawing all these obscene subscription business models for things that are rightfully products, not services. Where’s my goddamned First Sale Doctrine, FTC?!

2. Software Engineers working on commercial products need to be professionally licensed, so that proper consequences can be applied for unethical “fail-deadly” designs like this one.

• Technus@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

As a software engineer, the thought of my code being responsible for someone’s safety is fucking terrifying. Thankfully I’m not in that kind of position.

From experience though, I can tell you that most of the reasons software is shitty is because of middle or upper management, either forcing idiotic business requirements (like a subscription where it doesn’t fucking belong!) or just not allocating time to button things up. I can guarantee that every engineer that worked on that thing hated it and thought it was fucking stupid.

Licensing would be overkill for most software as it’s not usually life and death. I think in this case since it’s safety equipment it really should have been rejected by NHTSA before it ever hit stores.

• grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

I can guarantee that every engineer that worked on that thing hated it and thought it was fucking stupid.

As a software engineer who was also a civil engineer-in-training before switching careers, I think one of the big overlooked benefits of being licensed is that it would give engineers leverage to push back on unethical demands by management.

• manager@evil.corp

Dear manager please clarify the specifications for product. From the discussions in the last design meeting i felt the specifications to potentially be ambigious about their compliance with critical safety regulation. Please reply with the clarified specifications.

• Technus@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Management can always just fire the engineering team and hire one overseas. It’s not like it’s even that difficult to do.

• grue@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I don’t think you understand what being licensed means. It means the state requires that people doing that job hold a license. Offshoring would become illegal.

• Technus@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

I just don’t see how it would help. It would require legally defining what is or isn’t an unethical or unsafe software product, in which case why wouldn’t you just… regulate the product.

That’s easy with civil engineering: did the thing collapse and kill people? You dun fucked up. But bridges and buildings and tunnels don’t have EULAs with liability disclaimers.

Anyone who paid for this piece of shit vest almost certainly had to accept some sort of license agreement that disclaims any liability on behalf of the manufacturer. It’s a safety supplement meant to reduce the risk of a fatal injury, not prevent them altogether.

You’d also end up with a situation where an overseas team develops the software and you just have a licensed engineer on retainer to rubber-stamp it. It’d probably kill what little domestic software development we have left, because however much time and money it costs to get licensed will jack up everyone’s salary requirements that gets licensed.

It would also mean heavy restrictions on the import of any software, which pretty much fucks… everyone. It’d likely kill the Internet or make it even shittier, because you could only visit websites developed by a licensed engineer. Every website visit requires the downloading of software: the Javascript frontend.

It would also effectively kill open-source, because the legal liability would override the warranty disclaimer in every single open source license. Why would you put something out into the world for free if all it would do is open you up to litigation?

Could a well written law take this all into account? Certainly. Would you realistically expect it to, though? I don’t think so.

• jaybone@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

This is managements fault, not the engineers fault.

We have to implement the requirements we are given. If we don’t, we get fired and they hire someone else who will do it.

• grue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

If we don’t, we get fired and they hire someone else who will do it.

If we were licensed, any replacement would be similarly ethically bound to refuse and that tactic wouldn’t work.

• Seleni@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

My dad worked for AAA. Once he got a call because a lady’s car errored out and thought she didn’t have her seatbelt buckled mid-drive, so it shut the engine off. On the freeway.

Even without a subscription, failsafes should always fail safe.

• Slotos@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Thorium reactors have a cleverly dumb failsafe. If reactor control fails, there’s a plug that melts and drains the contents into a container that’s not fit for runoff neutron generation.

That’s an example of a failsafe that fits its purpose. It’s still possible to fuck it up, but it would take a lot of effort to do so.

• KISSmyOS@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

And if there’s a bug in that code, you’re fucked.

If there’s a bug in your car’s airbag, you’re also fucked.