Hey there, I am curious what everyone is reading and how you are feeling with it. I started demon copperhead yesterday, made it about 70 pages in and decided to read the first book in the chthulu CaseBooks. It’s a kinda retelling of Sherlock Holmes but with a Lovecraft quist.

I am digging it so far, about 50% through and it’s a fun ride.

So what are you all reading?

• realitista@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Guns, germs, and steel. I don’t usually go for this sort of historical work, but it’s pretty interesting. Some good stories in there.

• GiantPacificOctopus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If you like guns germs and steel, you may also really like the hot zone by Richard Preston. I devoured that like I’ve never devoured a nonfiction book before (I usually think they’re dry)

• werehippy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

If you’re enjoying this, I might recommend The Dawn of Everything by Graeber and Wengrow. Guns, Germs, and Steel was one of the first books in that genre of “where do we come from” style books I (and a ton of people) read and loved, but it gets a fair bit of flack for skipping over stuff to support their theory.

Dawn of Everything is sort of the next step from that, it doesn’t explicitly refute GGS outside of a time or two they were directly wrong so much as just be much more comprehensive and point out how insanely varied our history is and that there isn’t really a one size fits all story. It’s weirdly conversational, I’ve described it as sitting in on a lecture from a really ecentric professor, and I think it’s a great fit for anyone who loved how GGS opened their eyes to common threads in our history and what that might say about the world now.

• computersaysno@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

im currently in ch7 of Dawn of Everything and yea I think you described it right, i feel like im in the most interesting history class of my life with this cool interesting professor. My favorite quote so far, when talking about how valuable objects might have traveled long distances without a market economy, “But lack of imagination is not itself an argument”