Main points: He plans to make moderators popularly elected to more easily vote them out.

Hopes the next frontier will be subreddits as businesses.

He does not want Reddit employees to take on the work. Moderator hours were valued at 3.2 million last year, 3% of reddit’s revenue.

• BlinkerFluid@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

come work for free

No thanks

builds an entire self-hosted instance of an open source, federated social media network…

• ForbiddenRoot@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

He plans to make moderators popularly elected to more easily vote them out.

I totally second this idea. The last time we tried to get the internet to seriously decide on something we got Boaty McBoatface.

Hopes the next frontier will be subreddits as businesses.

Even better. All posts in these subs can be advertisements, perfect.

He does not want Reddit employees to take on the work. Moderator hours were valued at 3.2 million last year, 3% of reddit’s revenue.

Yeah, don’t even spend 3% of revenues as a cost of doing business. The soon-to-be-community-elected mods will do it for free. Super.

• Loccy@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The last time we tried to get the internet to seriously decide on something we got Boaty McBoatface.

And lo, the Internet looked down upon it’s handiwork, and verily, t’was awesome.

All posts in these (business) subs can be advertisements, perfect.

And nobody will ever go there. And, two years down the track, u/spaz will hoik up the pricing or cut them off entirely because they’re making money off of a non-profitable Reddit. “We want to work with the business subs but they’re not interested in talking to us and have all thrown their toys out of the pram and shut down”.

• nodsocket@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Spez is such a nice guy, protecting the innocent users from the greedy elites who control the site. /s

1/4 bots, 1/4 advertising, 1/4 Onlyfans “entrepreneurs” and 1/4 users. What could possibly go wrong?

• NEKRONIUM@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Doesn’t matter what changes he makes I’m never going back to that site that it’s filled with karma farmers, bots and onlyfans spamers

• crilen@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yea I’m actually glad there’s an exodus of people who care. The ones who don’t, I don’t care about them either.

• eatmoregreenfood@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Honestly fuck reddit. I was so tired of it, but there was nowhere else to go. At least I can develope a more healthy relationship with social media here

• Cap@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

When the subreddits went private I visited reddit three times, then a couple of times the next day, then once the following day. I haven’t visited today and honestly I’m not missing it too much. If I get the urge to visit I just come here and it acts as my reddit nicotine patch.

• HappyHarryHadron@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah I’ve been the same, and when I’ve browsed the comments there is so much aggro. Makes me wonder if it’s always been like that and I was just blind to it.

Overall, the experience here is 1000 times better than Reddit

• ethane@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well this will bring me back to reddit… So I can vote out the mods who want to reopen the sub.

• FrankTheHealer@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Watch subs elect actual Nazis, trolls, incels and transphobes to be moderators for the lols and then the site ends up being a cesspool.

• whitehatbofh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m betting it will not be one account one vote. He’ll stack the deck, just wait.

Even if it is one account one vote, the bot armies will be there to ensure the outcome the admins want. Moderator puppets to do the will of the admin team, fuck us pleb slobs that are the community and make his shitty site worth visiting.

• SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

They’re just looking for admin-friendly volunteers to cross the picket line and kick out protesting mods. It’s unsurprising that it’s come to this, and has already started in various reddit’s (such as /r/AdviceAnimals, which still exists, apparently).

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

OK so it’s basically US politics now? Lol. Sham Wow. This is actually pathetic and made me crack up.

• plantstho@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

subreddits as businesses

I’ll admit, I didn’t have faith that he could, but he actually came up with a worse idea

• wrath-sedan@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

While undeniably shitty, how amazing would it be if after instituting popular voting on mods more subreddits voted to go private? Not likely but it is tempting

• uyuu@lemmy.4d2.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

In r/trackers we had a vote to close the sub or remain open. 1st option won, but one mod overrule it so it stayed open lol

• ForbiddenRoot@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I feel one of the reasons many subs have not gone indefinitely dark is that the mods too are attached to their communities, and probably rightfully so. If they are going to get booted out, which may easily happen when you leave it up to the Reddit horde to decide, then they might just decide to shut down the sub.

• lka1988@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I made a hard decision to leave my sub two years ago; I couldn’t keep up with the ever-backing up mod queue, and I was going through a divorce (good thing, I promise), and work was picking up steam. I had adopted it from /r/redditrequest several years ago because it was a fun novelty sub with like 8 posts that had clearly been dead for a couple years, with [deleted] as the creator. I revived it, and now it’s a nearly 1.2M user shitposting sub. It’s beautiful. It’s my baby and all growed up… and it’s name is /r/FUCKYOUINPARTICULAR.

Miss that place. They even tried to participate in the blackout.