In an attempt to have a hand at real life cyber+punk, it might be interesting to take a look at SDR.

For just a handful of dollars, it’s possible to get some pretty cool receive-only tools. Within a few hours of exploring the possibilities, I was able to find the local police and emergency services bands ( though, most of the channels were encrypted ).

On the same equipment, tuned to plane transponder frequencies, and now you can watch nearby aircraft traffic.

I’m by no means any sort of expert on this, but it was interesting to dig in and discover what information you can mine from the air.

Have any of you worked with tools like these? Maybe even dabbled in radio technology in general?

• lagged@dataterm.digital
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have a whole wish list of radio waves I want to inspect using my HackRF SDR.

Most recently I’ve been trying listen to the subway radio communications while riding. So far not much luck as I’m still learning GNU Radio and SDR in general.

The first project that got me into SDR was my interest in how KPop concert light sticks (similar to LED wrist bands at Taylor Swift concerts, except KPop light sticks use ZWave not IR painting) communicate and sync up to songs. Still haven’t gotten to this project yet. Maybe once I learn more I can try again.

• TraceLines@dataterm.digitalOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh man, let us know how that project goes. Have you done much transmit with the SDR, any tips/tricks for someone looking to expand from RLT-SDR into HackRF?

• lagged@dataterm.digital
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Hopefully I’ll have some progress posts in the future! My only transmit project is the KPop one but I am not anywhere close to that. I do have thoughts about transmitting in other environments but am not sure super about the legal aspect of that.