I’m part of the exodus from reddit, and have made the active decision to start de-cloudifying my life. I’ve got my own media server, and working on a Nextcloud for the home.

One of the biggest pieces of software that I currently use though, which has way too much access to my hardware is Discord. I know of old school software like Teamspeak and Mumble, but those aren’t quite what I’m looking for. They lack some of the features that discord has, such as the chat rooms, or online indicators for friends.

Does anyone know of any good alternatives?

EDIT: Thanks for the suggestions! It’s looking like Matrix is going to be the way to go

• paco@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Since you mention you have Nextcloud, it’s worth knowing that Nextcloud embeds Spreed which gives you chat, audio, video, screensharing and a ton of other features. The trick with stuff like that is getting people to sign up, but limiting it to only people you want to chat with. The one thing that’s valuable about internet-facing stuff like Discord is that anyone can sign up and it’s not your problem. With Nextcloud, you can often federate and let people sign in with Google or Github or Facebook or whatever, but—as an individual—you probably don’t want to have truly open signups on a personal chat server. So you’ll have to sorta invite/accept people signing up. Matrix (already mentioned) is the other good contender.

• drunkeskimo@fedia.ioOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I didn’t realize that Nextcloud had all the extra stuff with it. I’ve just been wanting something other than iCloud. I’ll have to check it out, but it’s looking like Matrix is going to be the one

• XpeeN@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’d try matrix apps like element or wait for spacebar (formerly fosscord), no much alternatives available unfortunately.

• loke@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Matrix is probably the best solution. There is a bridge feature that allows you to merge a Matrix room with a Discord channel to the members can tack to each other. This allows for a smooth transition of communities away from Discord.

• drunkeskimo@fedia.ioOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is gonna be the one! Looks like Element has a similar enough UI, and one that won’t scare away family from using it

• arkcom@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

In case you guys are wondering, despite being posted to selfhost@lemmy.ml, this post actually only exists and can be interacted with on fedia.io

Federation seems to be falling over all over the threadiverse.