This was back in 2016, a really epic northern lights. It always looks a bit brighter in pictures but this one was very bright IRL as well, and even had some purple.

Bonus picture from the same day:

• Maharashtra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Damn… I’ve never seen lights like that.

I wonder if there would be some feeling of dread or doom involved, if I were to watch them with my own eyes…

• SameOldJorts@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I guess that depends on the person, but when I saw them it was more like a magical/otherworldly experience, kind of like being in the path of totality during a total eclipse-the world seems different. Then again, I had been living in Alaska for nearly a year hoping every day to see them. They really do dance across the sky. Really fun experience I hope you get to see them if that’s what you want.

• Maharashtra@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Thank you!

It is my wish to see such lights one day, but for that I need to wait until my little child gets ready for a conscious travel and sightseeing. The goal is set, now we need time. 😉

• OrganicMeatbag@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

May I ask the location of the photos? I know you have to be far north and it is mostly seasonal. Would love to see them in person one day. Thanks sharing for the beautiful picture.

• ludw@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

These we taken in northern Sweden. It doesn’t really matter where you are as long as you are far enough north and the sky is dark and clear.