• athos77@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This was taken in 1932 by Leon Jarumski. The location is Warsaw - specifically, the Cafe George in the Goldstand tenement house at ul. Kredytowa 9 corner of pl. Dąbrowskiego 8.

Note that this is the standard use of “tenement” - a building shared by multiple dwellings, typically with apartments on each floor and with shared entrance stairway access - and not the “slum building” some people might think of. One style of tenement in Poland has the ground floor consisting of shops and other businesses, while the upper floors are apartments, oftentimes spanning the entire floor. This building style usually has large windows in the front since little or no light comes in the side.

During the interwar period, this was in a very stylish section of Warsaw, often called Little Paris by visitors, where you could find “stylish cafes, dances, and lively streets”.

The building survived the war, and there’s still an upscale restaurant there. Interestingly, while Leon Jarumski seems to have been something of a notable photographer - you can find a number of his photos online, and they’ve appeared in museum exhibits - I can’t really find much information about the man himself. I’m left wondering if he died in the war, or this is the anglicized version of his name, or he’s just lost to history. If anyone knows anything about him, I’d love to learn more!