People don’t quit jobs, they quit managers and coworkers. In my case I’d quit some coworkers and sometimes my manager.

But others coworkers are good ones I like working with, and the workplace is not very far, meaning my commute is so small I can bike there. There’s lots of downtime as well and sometimes my biggest trouble is how not to die of boredom listening to my coworkers’ boring stories because they feel offended if I don’t sit with them. I’m unionized.

I like keeping to myself and deciding what kind of people I want in my private life. Most of my coworkers are not this kind of people. I’ve been called a loner, which is actually true and it’s not a problem unless people bully me for it (because they feel offended by my silence, apparently). My biggest problem is office drama. However, wherever I go, there’s always going to be drama, so wouldn’t it be wiser to stay with the bad I already know?

I don’t get drama. It’s a waste of everyone’s time.

• thesmokingman@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Here are few things to consider:

1. If you got another job, what current benefits (eg the bike ride, union) would you lose or gain?
    2. Is it possible to get a life-changing amount of money in a new job? This is really dependent on you and your situation. After taxes and deductions, will the new job provide you enough money to materially change your circumstances? Early on, a 5k raise is life-changing. Later in your career, it’s really not.
    3. What’s the price of your mental health? Is it truly being negatively affected here?
    4. Are you positive you’d be able to find a new job without the problems you’re currently experiencing?
    5. Is staying or leaving better for your goals in life which may or may not include your career?

I work in tech where I could, in theory, job hop every six months or so. I always encounter problems at jobs and there’s always something new and flashy in my inbox. This framework helps me evaluate why I want to leave and if I actually should. Most of the time it’s really just some ennui I need to weather. Sometimes it’s not! My mental health is very valuable to me and has led to some salary cuts.