I mean there’s Reddit ofc, as well as Twitter in its entirety, Discord is implementing some dumb updates, there are issues with Tumblr as well as everything to do with Meta, and I’m sure there are plenty more (and I haven’t even touched other digital media, for example the Sims). Why is it all happening in the span of about a couple months?

• shillbert@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That was a great read. Thanks for posting something that isn’t the same Doctorow article I’ve seen a hundred times. I love that description of the purpose of conservatism:

To clone their particular set of neuroses and fears and revulsions and nostalgias and convictions and traumas so that they never have to experience anything but themselves, copied and pasted unto the end of time.

• Calvinball@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I highly recommend everyone read this article. It summed up the way I think we all feel very eloquently. Thank you for linking it

• TimberHearth@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Absolutely beautiful writing in that post. As someone who’s been on forums since the mid-90s it hit home pretty hard.

• polygon@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Stop benefitting from the internet, it’s not for you to enjoy, it’s for us to use to extract money from you. Stop finding beauty and connection in the world, loneliness is more profitable and easier to control.

Stop being human. A mindless bot who makes regular purchases is all that’s really needed.

Stop talking to each other and start buying things. Stop talking to each other and start hurting each other.

Holy shit, that article was profound. Thank you for sharing.