I missed 2/60 questions for a 97%:

• IR.V.B.K1: Elements related to ATC routes, including departure procedures (DPs) and associated climb gradients; arrival procedures (STARs) and associated constraints.

• IR.I.C.K3a: Calculating: a. Time, climb and descent rates, course, distance, heading, true airspeed, and groundspeed

I took an online home-study ground school course with Aviation TrainingCenter (www.aviationtrainingcenter.org). I had bought a lifetime membership when I was doing my PPL originally with them under another company name, so I was grandfathered in before their annual subscription pricing hit. I completed the course in about 3 weeks in my spare time (I have a wife, 2 young children & a 60+ hr/wk non-aviation career).

After I completed the home-study course, I went the Sheppard Air study resource route and bought their IRA study kit. I spent around 30 hours going through that. People say it’s just rote memorization. You could use it that way, but to be honest, I found it easier actually understanding the concepts and principles, and reading the provided explanations to better understand things. A few things in the explanations for the exam contradicted what the home-study course ground instructor said, so I found that extra helpful. The Sheppard Air study resource also points out questions on the FAA exam that the exam computers are scoring incorrectly. I saw one of those on my exam and trusted the Sheppard Air guidance to pick the wrong answer on purpose: it panned out as that wasn’t one of the categories I missed. But having learned the right and wrong answer (and how to find the right one) from the Sheppard Air study resource, I’d 10/10 use that resource again. Well worth it.

I rushed the studying piece and did all the 30 hours this week (my wife is amazing and really supportive), so I’d get the test in before the FAA changes it, which is scheduled for this Monday, July 31, 2023. They’re reducing the allowed time to 120 minutes (from 150); but I only needed 33 minutes to complete all 60 questions in the test. They also announced they’re adding 5 “unscored” questions, and supposedly they take this kind of update timeframe as an opportunity to reword and change up questions, so I’d allow the testing and study resources to settle a little if you’re planning the IRA exam after 7/31/2023 – give it a few weeks at least.

I’ve got about 38 hours XC already, so now the fun begins: Flying with a CFII and maybe a safety pilot to complete the aeronautical experience requirements while preparing for the oral exam and checkride!

Any recommendations from IR pilots for a PPL-rated IR student?