Reddit is taking control of large subreddits that are still protesting its API changes::undefined

• eric@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Giant subs have shut down before, yet Reddit never reopened them prior to June 2023. It was the coordinated action across subs that Reddit saw as a threat, not the act of closing a sub (which had never been against the rules and still isn’t). Reddit saw the protest as hijacking in the same way that other companies feel that the workers are hijacking the company when they try to unionize or strike. Only difference here is that the workers for this company are volunteers rather than paid employees.

Sure, reddit’s a private company, so they can mostly do whatever they want, but that doesn’t change the fact that these actions are unprecedented and a huge betrayal of trust, and there’s nothing wrong with people (especially those that invested a lot of time and effort into building the site into what it is today) being upset at reddit for this.

• graphite@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

but that doesn’t change the fact that these actions are unprecedented and a huge betrayal of trust, and there’s nothing wrong with people (especially those that invested a lot of time and effort into building the site into what it is today) being upset at reddit for this.

I agree with you.

I had been using Reddit for a long time, so I understand.

I don’t think the blackout was productive: it was never going to change their minds, they just didn’t want to have give moderators the boot in the end.

• eric@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Nah, it didn’t have to end like that. There was another way they could have played it, but they chose not to. There’s no reason to act as if it was inevitable.