Do PC gamers feel 12GB of VRAM is simply not enough for the money in 2024?

• wooki@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

If they dont drop the price by at least 50% goodbye nVidia.

So no more nVidia. Hello Intel.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I don’t think they care. In fact I think they’re going to exit the consumer market eventually, it’s just peanuts to them and the only reason they’re still catering to it is to use it as field testing (and you’re paying them for the privilege which is quite ironic).

• Kyrgizion@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

This. Corporations are lining up in droves for gpu’s to run AI applications. Nvidia doesn’t care about regular consumers because we aren’t even their primary market anymore, just a bonus to be squeezed.

• wewbull@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

If Nvidia pivot completely out of the consumer space, which I can totally see coming, they are placing the company totally dependent on the AI hype train. That’s a fairly precarious position in my eyes. I’ve yet to see an actual application which it solves with enough reliability to be more than just a curiosity.

• willis936@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

They leaned their strategy pretty hard into mining when that was on the table. They for sure chase trends and alienate their base. Any way to juice near term profits and they will. It’s working out for them right now, so surely it will forever.

• ScreaminOctopus@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

They got astronomically lucky the crypto boom fed directly into the Ai boom as it ended, otherwise it would have been 2017 all over again.

• agitatedpotato@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Yeah but if they pump their valuation high enough, they will have plenty of time to sell off shares before their decision start to effect the rest of the people who work there.

• genie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Right? TPUs make more sense at scale (especially for LLMs & similar). The consumer market is more about hype and being a household name than it is about revenue.