• Lord_Fluffington@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yeah the more they copy apple the more you just think to yourself “well why don’t I just buy an iPhone then for longer os support” removing the micro sd and headphone Jack amongst other things has kind of eroded part of androids identity. Android still has a way better file management system and notifications system but it’s starting to feel like little else these days.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

The big things keeping me from leaving my life-long Android dedication is that Apple doesn’t allow sideloading apps, browsers other than Safari and Safari reskins, any type of home screen customization, and messaging with RCS.

3 out of 4 of those issues are very likely to be resolved this year… so there’s little reason to stick with Google, imo, given how shit their services have become over the last 5 years.

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

You bring a good point. I’m curious about what a “more open” iOS could give in terms of experience. Could be a real blow to Samsung

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

I admire Apple for their hardware, ecosystem consistency, and software consistency. But their walled garden approach is just too closed off for my use.

If they were to open things up a bit, allow for more flexibility, I really think they could capture a huge chunk of users that are fed up with Samsung and Google.

• BlazeOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

Definitely. The battery life and stuttering issues on Pixels devices are not up to the standards of their price range. Samsung is a bit better, but when you compare it to iPhones, those just seem more “polished”?

• FutileRecipe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

well why don’t I just buy an iPhone then for longer os support

I’ve never owned an iPhone so I’m not too up to date on this, but a 30 second search (meaning I could be wrong), says:

“But it is around 5-6 years based on precedence. The iPhone 6s probably had its last major software update with iOS 14(2020).” https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252455935

I can’t speak on Samsung, but Google is getting much better with updates. Hopefully Samsung follows suit. The Pixel 6 and 7 get 5 years, and the Pixel 8 getting 7 years. https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705

Edit: to me, the Pixel is one of the best phone lines, especially when you consider GrapheneOS support and alternative OS in general support. However, I think Google falls way short on marketing, which is why they never really took off.

• limerod@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I can’t speak on Samsung, but Google is getting much better with updates. Hopefully Samsung follows suit.

They did. Samsung starts 7 years of updates starting with the s24 series. Their midrange and previous flagship did 4os + 5 security years. Budget devices are currently on 2os + 4 security updates.

• Bartsbigbugbag@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Having been an Apple, Google, and Samsung certified technician who performs repairs down to board level, Google phones fucking suck. They have no fucking idea what they’re doing and it results in horribly assembled phones, esoteric internal design, fragile components, and complicated repairs. A screen repair on a Pixel 5 took almost 40 unique components. That’s literally more than 10x what any other brand needs. They take ten times as long as an iPhone for the same repair, and probably 5x as long as a Samsung. There are worse phones out there, but not flagship phones. Google is by far the worst flagship manufacturer once you actually get past the sleek exterior. Dozens of crisscrossed flex cables, many of which are heavily adhered down or intended to be replaced regardless of if they’re in perfect shape. Single use grommets, ridiculously over complicated jigs and templates… they’re just… bad.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Huh, well that sucks. I hate Samsung. They are even less trustworthy than Google. I guess I’ll be going back to iPhone when this Pixel reaches EOL.