• Kyrgizion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I never worked in my chosen field and fell into software development instead.

I wish I could say it made me happy but it’s quite the opposite. I feel out of my depth every day and I’ve never been promoted or such, and I’ve been with the company for almost ten years.

I’d go do something else but I don’t really have any skills worth mentioning so I guess I’m stuck here until I get fired or am eligible for a pension (not gonna happen btw, there will not be any pensions for gen y and on.

So I just feel inept and stupid every day. At least it keeps a roof over my head.

• MagicShel@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Apply for govt positions. If you hate your job and are underpaid anyway, you can have an actual career, pension, and maybe help some folks along the way. I’d have to take a fifty percent pay cut to go into government work and I’m too old to reap the benefits, but sometimes I regret not taking that path. I’ve known a lot of happy people in government work. Not that it’s not frustrating as fuck in some ways, but it kinda sounds like that’s not really a downgrade for you.

• Fal@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I wish I could say it made me happy but it’s quite the opposite. I feel out of my depth every day and I’ve never been promoted or such, and I’ve been with the company for almost ten years.

I’ve learned recently to really ask for the promotions and recognition I feel like I deserve