• Mikina@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

There’s one thing that I regret to this day - going fulltime right after school.

I studied gamedev, and we had a game going on pretty strong, which we were determined to finish in our free time. We were working on it with my roommate and a classmate, who is in general a pretty creative person - he writes LARPs for one group, is leading a amateur theater group, leads our game development team, masters RPGs, etc. He also works as a programmer, just like me.

When we finished school, he decided to stay working part-time, two days a week, and continue living in the student’s appartment with our 3 more friends. Keeping his expenses as he had before during school, and focusing on his creative projects in the free time. Because as someone without a car, family, and i a shared household, on a programmers salary, you can get by pretty comfortably.

I, on the other hand, decided to go full-time. And boy does it sucks to get energy for hobby projects after you’ve spent 40 hours a week of working. Sure, I had more money - but the fact that after paying all my necessary expenses (which I was able to do even part-time), I was left with 3-4 times as much money didn’t really help me at all. Sure, I had financial security, I could buy whatever I wanted and didn’t need to pay any mind to my spendings, but was it worth it? I’m more and more conviced that it wasnt. I had to start forcing myself to work on my hobby projects that I’ve loved before. I started postpoing it, and was stressed by trying to shove that much work into so little time.

The money didn’t help it at all, especially since I didn’t really need them.

He’s still working on plethora of projects I’d love to join in, but my contribution is getting less and less reliable, and more and more stressful for me, because the 8 hours of job work per day will just suck all energy out of you, especially since the projects are usually also programming related.

If I could change it, I’d never start working more hours than I need to comfortably get by, even with a little bit of frugal lifestyle. It’s not worth it, and the stress caused by trying to overwork myself with the hobby projects, missing deadlines with both work and said projects, has taken a great toll on my mental health in the past 4 years we’ve finished school. In fact, I didn’t even manage to finish my diploma thesis, after postponing it for three years, so I don’t even have the Masters even though I did finish the state exam.

So, if you can, limit your work hours as much as you can to get by, and work on your own projects in the meantime (if that’s what you want). The money are not worth it.

(I’m actually finally planning to go back to part-time, and take another Masters in game design this year, and probably stay at that, so I’ll see how it goes. But seeing the difference between my best friend and me, where our paths diverted exactly by this, he’s turned out a lot better than I did after those three years.)