cross-posted from: https://discuss.tchncs.de/post/9640321

I’m wondering about your experience with them:

• Have they replaced your seltzer/soda buying?
  • How much do you use your equipment?
  • Where do you get your CO_2 refilled and how much does it cost?
  • What flavorings do you use and which are your favorite?
  • What equipment did you buy and do you recommend it?
  • Checkplus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Yeah, I was getting fed up with going out to buy soda without a car, even to the point I tried getting deliveries from a wholesaler, so I went up the soda machine tech tree. Started with a soda stream, tasted like trash and was so expensive. I started buying real soda syrup, still bad, really flat.

I ended up buying a 5lb co2 container that I get refilled at welding supply stores, regulator, tube, and carbonation cap. Finally, great soda, at a good price. Maybe I should have stopped there. But instead I decided to move to a carbonation keg. Pretty easy to set up and only having to fill it once a week was awesome. It took 6 months to tweak everything to where I could get it decently carbonated though. (Have to increase pressure, and decrease temperature which required tons of mods) and it still wasn’t quite as good as the carbonation cap.

Finally, I recently bought a “benchy sparkling” which does everything automatically and is a real step up. Again though, I’m still chasing the soda quality from when I just used a carbonation cap to manually carbonate one bottle at a time. Damn it’s so convenient though, you don’t even know.

• HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I got one then bought a co2 tank and hose from brewery supply store and hooked it up. Tank was 75$us and it’s 20$us to refill. Tank fills 4 kegs so hoping it’ll last along time. Had to take the dispenser apart to screw the hose fitting in but if can’t you can get a pvc pipe and cut it to be like a wrench