• whaleross@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Nice. But, please let’s not devolve this community into another anything goes random stuff dump. There are enough of those already.

• IMALlama@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I agree with you completely. That said, part of the thing this community will struggle with is that there are “primary” communities for most of the things people make (woodworking, leather making, luther, 3D printing, quilting, etc). It’s kind of nice to have a community that looks across other communities, but what should be posted here? Is this a best-of things people made or is this a repost repository? I’m not sure what a good answer is.

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

I mostly crosspost here when I finish knitting a nice pair of socks. Occasionally hint at other crafters that they should do the same with their finished projects, to limited success. Of course there are plenty crafts that don’t have a community yet, too, so it’s nice to have an enthusiastic catch-all community like this for when it’s needed.

• IMALlama@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

That’s fair. I have reasonably mainstream hobbies when it comes to making things, so most of them have a dedicated community. Not all those communities are very active though. I try to nurture some of them with content and am personally not a big fan of posting the same content in multiple spots. Maybe I should give up on some of the smaller communities for now.

• BlazeOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Would you like to share some of those communities? Maybe we have interest in common

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Obviously very much up to you but I do think crossposting has its place! Actual crossposting, not duplicate posts, important distinction there. Doesn’t show up twice in people’s feeds, but lets you reach both the small niche audience in the original hobby community and then also the potentially wider audience in a community like this! And of course, lets people in the bigger community know the smaller one exists.

That said I do use it sparingly :D