I’ve been homelabbing for a few years now, and recently I’ve really been focusing in on learning how to use gnu/linux. I thought it might be fun to periodically share the things I’ve been learning. The stand outs for me this past week were:

1. Use the full path when referencing files and directories in bash scripts (Edit: when it makes sense, which is something I’m also still learning. This mkaes sense when the files will always be located in the same place.)
  2. In a bash script, the variable ${file##*/} will get you the name of the file your script is handling (example, when looping over files in a directory. I believe that’s a shell/bash standard variable, but I need to learn where it came from and how it works)
  3. Ubuntu gets a ton of justifiable criticism, but I find Canonical’s Multipass to be a great tool for spinning up Linux virtual machines. Especially on Apple silicon macs.
  4. Piping the output of ls to grep as a variable in a path is a great way to change to a directory you know exists but can’t remember the exact name of. (Example: cd ~/movies/“$(ls ~/movies | grep movie-name)”)
  5. The reason Mac cli utilities have syntax variations compared to the standard gnu/linux utilities is because macOS and its cli utilities are BSD based. This was information I knew at a high level, but had never really understood the implications of until this week.
  6. Related to point 5, if you’re on macOS trying to learn and you’re annoyed by the syntax differences between bsd and gnu utilities, you can run this script from darksonic37 on github to remove the bsd utilities from macOS and replace them with their gnu counterparts. (I have not run or reviewed the script. I found mulitpass first, and so far I’m happy using the Ubuntu virtual machine)
  • ABeeinSpace@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

This is really great info! I never knew Multipass existed, thanks for sharing.

For macOS, Homebrew can be used to selectively replace certain parts of the coreutils with the GNU versions

Edit: On reviewing the script you mentioned, that’s exactly what it does. It uses Homebrew to replace all the coreutils in one go

• harsh3466@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

You’re welcome! I stumbled across Multipass when I was looking for virtual machine options for the m1 mac mini I’m working on. I specifically was trying to get away from using the mac coreutils for a consistent syntax experience, and Multipass has been working perfectly for that.

It was only after I’d been using Multipass already that I stumbled across that script, and planned to take a look at it to possibly implement on my machine. I didn’t realize that Homebrew allowed for replacing the coreutils with the GNU versions. Another thing learned!