first shot: real prop with keyed UI panel. second shot: VFX version on the suit model.

as someone who consumes a lot of entertainment or as a creator, how did the VFX in the Flash (2023) seem to you? The movie has been delayed, changed director, writers and been reshot extensively. If this is the result it’s at least interesting to see shots like this in a $300+ million summer blockbuster. I also feel for VFX workers who had to do crunchtime and come up with passable solutions like this because of the unrealistic deadlines hollywood execs came up with.

• TheManIsInsane@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s truly got some of the worst cgi I’ve seen in a big budget movie in a long time. The babies in the beginning looked cursed, the time travel sequences looked like they were made up of wax figures, Batman’s movements sometimes looked like they came from a late 00s video game cutscene, Zod’s face looked like a bad deepfake most of the time and all the cameos at the climax were so badly executed the cgi was more noticable to me than the cameos themselves.

• spiderkle@lemmy.ca
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Right? Like students had to have been brought in or they just didn’t have the time and money.

• Coniferous@thegarden.land
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The babies, yeesh. The entire movie felt soulless, like they fed successful movie scripts into an AI and this came out. Both Flashes had repellent personalities. Certain sequences felt like fanservice, but disingenuous. What a stinker

• BruceTwarzen@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I honestly thought zod looked fine. Maybe i didn’t pay too much attention. But then again, compared to the end scene, all deepfakes look really good

• spiderkle@lemmy.ca
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

No worries mate; The movie has been in production hell for the last 10 years, changed like 10 good directors as well as writers, has had reshoots and cast-drama behind the scenes. Then Warner got bought by Discovery and their new CEO gave the DC helm to James Gun. With them also inheriting some leftover movies from the Snyderverse they had to finish and release some of them, while cancelling others. If Flash looks like this, how bad was the written off-as-a-loss Batwoman?

The Animations in the released movie look a lot like preliminaries. They seem unfinished or at least very rushed. To see such low quality in a blockbuster has become unusual. i’m not criticizing the artists, just surprised that this is what the leadership decided to produce, reshoot and then release to make some losses back

• Retro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I know I’m an outlier here, but I really enjoyed the movie. The CGI wasn’t perfect, but I don’t care. There’s so much CGI in the movie, some was bound to be shite. It’s WB after all, what haven’t they fucked up in recent years? I think the bigger problem is the association with Ezra Miller and this version of Flash being pretty childish and weird.

But I love a good Flashpoint story, and I’m excited about Gunn’s DC.

• unwinagainstable@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The simple display on his watch seems fine to me. I thought it was a decent movie. Acting, CGI and storyline were all okay. Not great, not terrible. I’d like to see more originality in Flash movies/shows but for mindless entertainment it was alright.

• FederatedSaint@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah I thought the movie was kind of enjoyable – definitely seen a lot worse come out this year. And DC did well with the humor aspect for once.

But I disagree that the CGI was ok. It was really bad imo.

• ehsan301
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I can’t see the problem.

• sarsaparilyptus@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The CG elements are lit from different angles with different color temperatures, it looks like the movie version of making collages by cutting pictures out of magazines

• Donebrach@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I haven’t seen it yet, but just wanted to say it boggles my mind that between the announcement and release of this film we had 9 seasons of a better version of The Flash in Grant Gustin.

• spiderkle@lemmy.ca
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I quite enjoyed the series as well. Even though CW made the arrowverse like a mix of soap-drama and action it kind of hit the right spot between stupid and fun.