This is an automated archive.

The original was posted on /r/bitcoin by /u/sirlockjaw on 2024-01-24 11:05:00+00:00.

Do you want to be able to buy more bitcoin today for the same price you paid yesterday? Do you want an asset you believe in to go on sale?

I’ve heard a really great analogy to help logically approach and rationalize the fluctuations in price of an asset to help prevent emotions from overriding logic and I’d like to share it:

Imagine you own a house. Every day, someone walks up to your door and gives you an offer on the house. Some days the offer is more, some days the offer is less. If someone offers half of what you think the house is worth, why would you sell it? Why would it matter what price they offer today when you know that the house is good and in the long term it will still be valuable? If all houses dropped in price, wouldn’t that be a great thing if you were in the business of buying more houses? For this audience, Bitcoin is the house and that offer is made for it every second.

My point is, everyone that is planning to buy more bitcoin should love for the price to drop to allow us all to get a bigger slice of the pie that is Bitcoin. There’s only one pie and I want my money to buy the biggest slices. So yes, I am glad the price is dropping. I’m glad my DCA payments will show that I get more sats now than before. For the same reasons, I will be sad when Bitcoin goes up in price in the short term. It’s that very same FOMO sadness that causes some people to dump money in despite the high price, although of course I won’t fall into that trap.

Maybe this perspective is selfish because I’m young and I have a long time horizon planned, but this mentality is really helpful in remaining calm and actually excited whenever there are drops in price in Bitcoin as well as all other assets. We’re still early so I want to load up as much as I can before the rocket blasts off.

This is mental health advice and not financial advice. Good luck

Edit: Just to be clear; I believe in the long term the price will be quite high due to the fundamental characteristics of the technology. I still very much believe in the asset in the long term and that’s why I want it for cheaper now