• SSUPII@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

The script of a tracker, or passage via certain servers, are being flagged. The instance this community is hosted on probably is hosted on or under Cloudfare, that is notorious for providing trackers

• Nightwatch Admin@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Uh, source? Cloudflare doesn’t need tracking, as it is literally between the user and the site, and that user is in fact talking to, and getting the data from a Cloudflare server (except in a few specific cases).

• SSUPII@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

That’s why I am talking about “passage” via cloudfare. The website might have seen a cloudfare connection and simply reported it. If I am not mistake actual direct tracking is optional, and is a separate service.

• darkan15@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Not an expert in this and someone can correct me or expand…

In the case of imgur or reddit, with embedded content like image previews or when following a link the destination site can know where you came from. Here a link that explains it better than I could.

In the case of Google, if you use chrome or search lemmy.world through Google and then click it from the search results, google knows

And if you don’t have any tracking protection via browser or extensions, there can be tracking using cookies for example.

Cloudflare is probably a false flag detected by this site

And in my particular case following your link it told me “No tracking detected on this site at present.” As seen in this image

• darkan15@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

There are ways to block most data collection, as I said an example of this is using a browser with built in blockers for tracking and/or extensions.

The other part is on the user hands, proprietary services and apps are always going to track something even if minimal, like I said using Chrome or Google search or visiting reddit or opening an embedded image preview from imgur are totally on the user, and could be avoided.

• Sticker@lemy.nlOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I use Lemmy through apps. My firewall sometimes detects different trackers when using apps.

• darkan15@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

That’s a very specific use case that would need you to provide more information, like what app are you using and what trackers are being reported, and that I particularly don’t know if I can help you with.

Maybe if you post said information, someone else can help you.

Edit to add: it is very likely the tracking is being done by the app itself, or when accessing an external link, or embedded content from the app, the app is not protecting you from other trackers, as lemmy.world itself is not tracking you

• Mom Nom Mom@nom.mom
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Here’s more of the page, that looks like it explains more about the “who” just by dividing it by categories (I found it useful, at least)

• thantik@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

It looks like it’s just being amazingly overzealous by flagging any request to any site they don’t like as a ‘tracker’.

• Arthur Besse@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

It looks like it’s just being amazingly overzealous by flagging any request to any site they don’t like as a ‘tracker’.

So what do you consider a “tracker”, if not the beacon.js from cloudflareinsights.com (which lemmy.world currently uses)?

• thantik@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

I’m not talking about Cloudflare. I’m talking about Reddit, Imgur, etc.

• SSUPII@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Personally I simply don’t care if I get the name of something slightly wrong, I only care to get the right point across. And I also have no idea what of the two is the right one, even if looking it up would take me less than typing this comment