NPR has selected former Wikimedia Foundation chief Katherine Maher to lead the network through an era of declining broadcast listenership, financial uncertainty and technological turbulence.

• spaduf@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I don’t know much about her work directly, but the fact that she’s coming from Wikimedia is exciting. Would love to see NPR come to the fediverse.

• nicetriangle@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

If they would just unfuck their mobile app I would listen a lot more. It’s so insanely buggy and poorly designed.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Agreed. IMHO, the best way to access their content is to use their podcast feeds and the podcast feeds of your local affiliates. They even post the hourly new updates every hour on the hour.

I also find that NPR One is a good way to discover NPR podcasts feeds worth subbing to. It’s also buggy, but it basically just plays the hourly news, then shuffles their podcast feeds from them and their affiliates over the 24 hours.

• nicetriangle@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yep that’s exactly what I do. It works but it’s kind of convoluted when they could just make fix their app.

I really like the live affiliate streams too and the podcast thing doesn’t work for that so you either have to wrestle with the NPR app or hope the affiliate has some sort of way to listen to it on a browser or in your music player which is hit and miss.

• Aesculapius@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I enjoy listening to morning edition - usually through the app. I also contribute to NPR monthly. They have to stop the on air fundraising campaigns. It really drives listeners away. At least give those that already contribute an alternative feed.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I don’t know why they stopped submitting to their tiny desk audio / video podcast feeds. That’d be a real easy way to support a lot of platforms without building an app.