• willeypete23@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Linus gaming got simple when steam dropped steamOS as a stand alone operating system. I went from windows 7 to steamOS. First was the steam piston, now I have a steam machine (Alienware / dell) and a steam deck. It’s as easy as console gaming but with all the flexibility of PC gaming.

And before I get shit for prebuilts, sometimes you just want to play, and shit just works. Also am poor.

• willeypete23@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I mean if you want to be pandantic owning a computer for gaming excludes you from being poor. Otherwise, if we’re doing cost relative to performance, you can pick up an alienware alpha for cost of the graphics card.

• Noughmad@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Depends on what you mean by “computer for gaming”. You pretty much need a computer at home for school work, printing and sending documents, maybe even some work from home. A lot of this can be done with a phone or tablet nowadays, but that wasn’t the case 5 years ago, which is why lots of people have an old-ish computer. And yes, this computer can be used to play games, not all the newer ones, but still plenty of games.

If you have a dedicated, modern and expensive computer only for games (and note that this includes consoles), yeah that definitely does exclude you from being poor.