• OtakuAltair@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Mint looks amazing though imo, better than windows by default I dare say

You could just change the theming and stuff if you didn’t like the default look. Linux is basically infinitely customizable after all. Distros and desktop environments just make it much easier.

With Nobara, can I install any and all applications and games I’m currently running on my PC, with zero additional steps

It’s not zero additional steps on windows either though; on windows you’d still need to download and install directx, opengl, vulkan, etc and find and install the correct .net framework versions for many tasks. I remember windows having its own fair share of hassle while I was on it until a few months ago, even aside from how slow and bloated it is.

Nobara basically takes care of similar setup on Linux for you, making some additional improvements like proton GE (modified version of Valve’s proton to further increase compatibility and performance) and I’m pretty sure the drivers are just a modified version of the latest official ones. You could ask in the discord server for more info.

And you don’t need to ‘switch’! You could set up dual-booting instead; some invasive anti-cheats are only made for windows right now so some of those games don’t work yet.

• MenacingPerson@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Have you even used windows recently?? Mint doesn’t look bad but it’s nowhere as good or even better than windows. (I use arch btw, not a windows user)

• OtakuAltair@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yup. Was dual-booting up until a few months ago. I much prefer the default aesthetics of mint/cinnamon and gnome over it, though I did change mine around to fit my tastes better (which I tried and failed to do on windows)

All the useful menus in windows 11 are buried inside the new ones and they still use the old windows xp style menus; they didn’t even bother integrating them with the new design. Even the default file explorer doesn’t use the accent colors you set lmao

• MenacingPerson@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

All the useful menus in windows 11 are buried inside the new ones

That’s UX; not UI

And the not using accent colours is either intentional or a bug; if it is a bug then you can’t blame windows for it, because this side also has it’s fair share of bugs. And windows’ design philosophy isn’t customisablility, but rather ease-of-use, right? (even though it fails a lot at that)

But yeah, Linux can definitely look cooler than windows with a little effort.

• _cerpin_taxt_@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Even the default file explorer doesn’t use the accent colors you set lmao

That’s just an outright lie.

Source: I’m looking at my lime green default file explorer right now.

• _cerpin_taxt_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Mint just looks like a fake OS that someone designed for a movie set or something. I can’t quit put my finger on it, but it looks cheap and basic as hell. Windows 11 is very aesthetically pleasing and IMO looks nicer than OSX these days.

With Windows, I can install Steam. Once that’s installed, I just install the games right from Steam. As far as my GPU goes, I just download GeForce Experience and then it pushes updated drivers to me on a regular basis that I can choose to install or not.

DirectX gets pushed out to every Windows computer with no need to manually install it, as does the .NET framework. If you need a different version of .NET, any software you install will typically warn you during installation, and even give the option to install right then and there.

I built my most recent PC about a year ago. I installed Windows and ran updates. Then I installed GeForce Experience and updated my GPU drivers. Then I installed Steam, and then installed my games of choice. No more, no less, and I was playing games in 4k 120+ FPS with zero issues or messiness.

If I were to install Nobara right now, can I just go through that exact simple process? If not, I’m not interested lol, and I’m a “techie.” Good luck trying to convert your average user.

You guys always claim how great Linux is and how you’re never going back to Windows, yet still dual boot with Windows. You know what I don’t do with my Windows install? Dual boot to any other OS lmao.