• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Her 14-year-old daughter Amity is already receiving mental health services and some medication, and would be able to continue her treatment under the law’s grandfather clause, but she wouldn’t be able to seek anything further, such as hormone therapies, and would have to go out of state to progress in her gender-affirming care.

Scaglione and her partner, Matt, are even considering moving their family out of state entirely, despite recently buying a house in a school district and community that’s safer for Amity and her 10-year-old sister, Lexi, who is also transgender.

DeWine reiterated Wednesday that he vetoed the legislation — to the chagrin of his party — to protect parents and children from government overreach on medical decisions.

The nation’s first law, in Arkansas, was struck down by a federal judge who said the ban on care violated the due process rights of transgender youth and their families.

Senate Minority Leader Nickie J. Antonio, a Cleveland-area Democrat, called the measure “bullying” and said that the Legislature should be dealing with bigger issues such a mental health and substance use disorders rather than those that ostracize transgender youth and take away parental rights.

Maria Bruno, public policy director for Equality Ohio, a statewide LGBTQ+ advocacy organization, said that they will be exploring whatever legal and legislative options are available to them in order to protect transgender residents and their families.

The original article contains 810 words, the summary contains 230 words. Saved 72%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• navi@lemmy.tespia.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Working in laws that actually help anyone. Anyone at all. NAH!

Oppressing a group of kids who just want to kick a ball. HELL YEAH GET EM BOYS

• Cowbee@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s easy to tell if you’re on the right side of history if transphobes continually show how much they don’t actually understand gender-affirming care.

I’ve yet to meet a transphobe that actually understands gender affirming care and general psychology/biology.