I’m sure people have seen posts criticizing this feature on garmin communities in the past, but I just wanted to share my personal experience. Over the past 3 months I have really been putting effort into my exercise and fitness level, I do some sort of workout 5 days a week whether that be a bike ride, basketball cardio, or lifting weights. I can feel my body getting in much better shape and see the results in my physique, and notice my stamina and energy levels improving.

And yet, garmin VO2max seems to think I’m regressing! I know there are a lot of variables like temperature, elevation, whether I did a workout already that day etc but it is SO frustrating to see that my number did not move for 2 months and then has dropped twice in the past month, meanwhile I’m in the best shape I’ve been in since before the pandemic.

I know it’s just a silly number and isn’t the whole story, it isn’t always accurate etc. but it’s still so annoying to see. I went for a 3 mile walk today and I felt amazing, it was very warm out and the trail had a lot of hills so I know for a fact that played into the measurement, but garmin says I’ve dropped 2 points since I started working out and that’s just so dumb.

Anyways, rant over, thanks for reading if you did.

TLDR: Garmin VO2max is useless unless you’re training on a completely flat surface on a perfect weather day that isn’t too hot. Don’t let the stupid number discourage you, focus on the workouts and how you feel, because I feel amazing!

• Wabbitsmiles@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Garmin VO2 max chart for the past month. dropping from 52 to 50 while increasing my training load.I feel you. I’ve been ramping up my training the past 2 months for some trail races. Pushing mileage, HR training, heat acclimatization, speed and slope work, just to see my VO2 max dropping off.

I can even see clear data that shows my interval splits are faster, at a lower HR and effort. What gives?

I wish I could just not look at that stupid number. (If only Garmin can give me another number to look at) because I’m now just a number chasing addict, and I need some other other to go for

And also, if Garmin could tell me how to calculate VO2 max, so I can hack it, would be great too.

• Drewsteau@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Lol I wish I could just ignore it too!! I think I may try to find a flat 400M track somewhere nearby and do a 20 minute workout there to see if I can get a somewhat accurate measurement. But honestly I think I’m just going to give up on this metric and focus on my heart rate stats!

• N-E-N@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Same experience, Vo2 seems to stay the same or go down when I exercise more lol