I am not criticizing them, I’m just out of the loop.

• TootSweet@latte.isnot.coffee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

We might be able to answer the question better if you named the “other platforms” you’re referring to. It doesn’t seem like an unusual amount compared to, for instance, how much communist/transgender content Reddit had back when Reddit wasn’t as evil as it is now. (Who knows what Reddit’s like now. I haven’t been back since the two-day boycott over the API pricing.)

All that said, some of the communist content here is tankies. (That is, authoritarian communists who spout CCP or other authoritarian communist regimes’ propaganda.) Some of the Lemmy instances (like latte.isnot.coffe and lemmy.ml) are run by tankies.

That said, a lot of the communist content here is grass-roots anarcho-communist advocacy by people like me who ideologically lean that way.

• TootSweet@latte.isnot.coffee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t think the lemmy.ml admins have been coy about it.

If you go to the lemmy.ml home page, at the bottom of the right column is a list of admins.

The first admin’s profile banner is a picture of Mao. And the second’s profile pic is a photo of Fidel Castro. The other two don’t have profile pics that are explicitly authoritarian communist and I haven’t had the patience to look through a whole lot of their posts or anything.

Just a couple of Reddit threads (via libreddit.hu) on the topic: one and two. Unfortunately what they link do doesn’t appear to be in the wayback machine as far as I’ve been able to tell.

• bleph@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago
        1. They basically say they are, and also run explicitly tankie instance lemmygrad.ml
        2. Look at the modlog for lemmy.ml. Among other things, anytime someone has an opinion about China who isn’t Chinese it’s “Orientalism”
        • EchoCT@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Yet they still won’t let me ban the fucking libs invading the instance.

• Ohthereyouare@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Old? Just check most places on Lemmy. The amount of tankie alts is huge. They’re everywhere on Lemmy. I’ve only been here a month and it’s clear as day.

• Historical_General@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

If you’re left wing, it’s a pretty good space. I don’t see left wingers complaining to be honest.

The only evidenced complaint about censorship of criticism of China, was full of misleading bs that deserved to be removed to keep the community free of cancer. I’d have made an account there first, but they weren’t allowing registrations at the time Sync for Lemmy went down which is when and why I came here.