I have an old laptop that I want to use to replace the “smart” features on my living room TV. Can anybody recommend a distro and setup which could act like a dashboard / remote control setup?

I want the PC to auto launch to a menu where I can use something like a remote to keep it convenient for lower tech people in my home. Are there remotes controls for this purpose? Distros?

I appreciate any guidance!

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Kodi seems like the best all around option. Alternatively you should setup a VNC connection for remote control of the desktop

• thisfro@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Depends a bit on what features you want to have. I use LibreELEC to run Kodi (and nothing else). Previously I used OSMC to run Kodi and some other things (steam link among others). You can use an app (kore) control kodi, which is very conveniant. RF remotes work well too, apparently.

• yo_scottie_oh@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Piggy backing to ask how one could play video from streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, etc in full HD under such a setup? My assumptions are that videos would be played in a web browser, and most if not all streaming services like Netflix limit video playback to 720p in a web browser, although I’d love to be wrong about that.

• d3Xt3r@lemmy.nzM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

There is a browser extension called “Netflix 1080p”, but in my experience the quality isn’t the same as Netflix’s native 1080p - the quality with the extension is visibly lower (but still better than 720p). And of course, it can’t do 4K at all. It also occasionally breaks, which is annoying.

If you really want to play streaming services at full quality, it’s better to just get a streaming stick like a Fire TV Stick, or a Roku or similar.

• lemmy_user_838586@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

I’ve been using a htpc for TV content for years, and I’ve finally given up and just gonna pirate all my shit now. The hoops I’ve had to jump through to get 1080p on Linux, and Netflix/prime video working on my rooted lineageos phone has pissed me off too much. Researching all the *arr software packages and which sources to get content from, this weekend.

• hperrin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I use a remote called the “Pepper Jobs W10 Gyro” and I love it. All the keys are set up for Windows (🤢) shortcuts, but other than that it’s awesome. It would be great for Kodi.

• beeng
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Media keyboard and auto launch website jellyfin at start up

• Tippon@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Any distro should do it, you just need to set your media centre software to run at startup. I’ve done it with Plex and Kodi, and I think Jellyfin does it too :)