• eek2121@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Nobody said this is a great policy. I was just pointing out the garbage level reporting of it by folks like the author.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s not garbage reporting. The title of the video is not even that misleading, because it is exactly what would happen if people opt into that. It’s way less misleading than apple representing the terms here as a “choice”

• abhibeckert@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It is miss-leading. You don’t pay any money unless more than 2% of the EU population uses your app (there’s about 50 million people in the EU who own an iPhone, and you need a million of those people to run your app to pay this fee).

If you have that many users, and zero income, then all you need to do is register as a non profit - then Apple will exempt your app entirely from the fees.

Every mass market truly free app that I can think of is already run by a non profit - so most don’t have to do anything at all.

• eek2121@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

No, it is completely misleading because:

1. this change will not impact a single developer outside the EU.

2. Any developer not using a third party app store will also not be affected.

3. You can still build free apps and literally nothing changes assuming you use Apple’s app store.

Like I said, it is a shit policy, but for nearly all developers nothing changes.

The video’s thumbnail said Apple is killing free apps. That is a complete lie. There is not an ounce of truth to it.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

If this is a complete lie, then their new policy “option” is 100 “complete lies”. I support any effort to get out the word that apple is anti competitive as fuck, a video title being 30% inaccurate does not change that for me at all.

• countsickness@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

To further add you would have to have more then one million downloads per year and also not fall under “Nonprofit organizations, accredited educational institutions, and government entities”.