• Square Singer@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

How do you get rid of that? I just stumbled across a toy that I got for a birthday >20 years ago when I was a kid, and I instantly reminded that I was ungrateful towards the kid who gifted it to me. That twang of guilt is still there, even though I can’t even remember what the kid’s name is.

• Lvxferre@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Think on it another way: you’re spending hours entertaining your analysis-thirsty brain and training your analytical ability - with situations that you won’t be able to screw up, ever!

• miz_elektro@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I do this all the time too, and one day I decided just to look it up and we what it’s called. Rumination. Honestly for me, just reading about it, finding out that it’s super common, and giving it a name helped to stop it. When I find myself thinking about embarrassing things I did years ago or replaying and over analyzing things I just think “oh I’m ruminating again” and it usually goes away for a while. That along with other distraction techniques can help.

https://www.mind-diagnostics.org/blog/repetitive-thoughts-and-behaviors/what-is-rumination

• MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m in the “over think every possible conceivable scenario and pre prepare responses to every social interaction only to be put into a social situation you didn’t prepare for”

Yep. That’s my cup of tea… I don’t go out much anymore.

• Yuki@kutsuya.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I gave up doing this years ago when my grandpa passed away. Waste of energy tbh

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Not everyone can make that choice to just not think about it… They’re compelled to do it, usually due to some brain disorder.

For me it’s ADHD, others have different problems.

• Yuki@kutsuya.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I see. As someone with autism, I tend to observe things from a more analytical standpoint, which can be perceived as having an emotionless or black-and-white approach. But, this way of thinking actually helps me process information and evaluate situations more effectively, at least from my own experience.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It would. I’ve made a strong effort to see things analytically through my life. “Bad” things don’t happen. Things happen, we determine if they are bad or good. Also, things aren’t happening to me, they’re happening and I happen to be there when they do.

I also speak to people from a matter-of-fact perspective, especially in my professional life, refusing to taint the situation with my opinion or emotion.

It’s helpful.