help-circle

• Sjoerd1993@lemmy.worldtolinuxmemes@lemmy.worldtrue comparison
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I honestly don’t really see it, I think vanilla GNOME looks amazing, while KDE Plasma just screams Windows 7 to me.

Having said it that, both are great DE’s with vastly different approaches. So these can definitely just co exist, while we can both agree that both DE’s are great for different people and workflows.

• Honestly my hope is still that the EU intervenes, which I consider to be around 50% given they’re a generally a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to regulations.

When Apple becomes my last hope, I’ll know times are bad. Having said that, it’s one of the parties that may actually oppose. The other big guy that may have some power in this, Microsoft, is probably more likely to adapt this catastrophe of an idea.

• Just a small bit of nuance that I neglected to give before, I do live in Sweden and $43k gets you much further in Sweden than in the US.

It’s a above median income, which is about $38k. (Both numbers are rounded, in total im line 6k above median per year). But still very significantly below what I can get with my same degree in industry.

It’s a known thing in academia, the pay is not great. Even very high ranking professors, who essentially could have a CEO-like position in industry, still don’t crack six digits here.

• Same reason it’s legal in most western democracies. Freedom of speech, it’s not against the law to burn a book. Similar demonstrations (Quran burnings) happen just as often in e.g. Denmark and Norway, seriously loon it up, the reason I suspect Sweden suddenly gets a lot of attention for it is mainly political, with them trying to join NATO.

Having said that, there are laws against incitement against ethical groups. The reason this is not treated as such is that its considered religious critique which is always legal.

I’d personally argue that this has very little to do with religious critique. These people haven’t read a single page of the Quran in their lives. This is clearly to provoke an ethnical minority. So I could definitely argue that it shouldn’t really be allowed. Not because you shouldn’t critique Islam or any other religion, but simply because this is nothing but a provocation actively trying to hurt/offend an ethnic group and get a reaction of out of it, but that’s not how the courts interpret the law.

• Have become? If anything, iOS have historically been getting more customizable over time not less.

And I don’t think it’s really accurate to compare iOS with MacOSX and earlier, entirely different systems with different use cases and form factors. I’d recon if Apple released a phone in 2002 it’s be just as locked down.

Not trying to defend this by the way, just surprised by the usage of the word “become” here as if it used to be different for iPhones.